September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day and September 8th - 14th is National Suicide Prevention Week. Suicide is something that effects all people from all walks of life, it was only a few weeks ago that Lee Thompson Young better known for his role as The Famous Jett Jackson took his own life. When I first heard about his passing, it was very sad and it left me to wonder why someone with so much success would want to take their own life. Lee Thompson Young is just one of many who believed that suicide was their only option. The truth is Suicide is preventable, so lets learn what we can do for Suicide Prevention.
The first thing we can do is learn the warning signs of suicide and who to call for help:
--The following signs may mean someone is at risk for suicide. The risk of suicide is greater if a behavior is new or has increased and if it seems related to a painful event, loss, or change. If you or someone you know exhibits any of these signs, seek help as soon as possible by calling the Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill themselves.
- Looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online or buying a gun
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
- Sleeping too little or too much.
- Withdrawing or isolating themselves.
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
- Displaying extreme mood swings. --( http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org)